Tuesday, October 20, 2015

Stranger in a Strange Land

Our latest book choices

So, here we are in Australia, and feeling a little unsteady on my feet. I am slowly getting used to the lay of the land, and the rhythm of the accents (which will probably take much longer to master, to be honest!).  We've already settled into a homeschool rhythm (as noted in previous posts), but I have yet to register officially. You see, they don't want to hear from you until your child is 6.5. The moment you get in touch with them, your "reporting year" begins, and even though DS8 is, well...8!, I am waiting until DD6 turns 6.5 officially so I can register them together (and so their reporting year will coincide at the same time).

Coupled with that is the fact that the school "year" ends in December here, and so all the kids here are in their 4th and final term of the year. I'm wondering if it makes sense to start our reporting year in the middle of the term? I am pondering exactly how I want to do this. As I had noted before we moved, I have been a bit unsure how I wanted to figure out the kids' school "year"...I'm still pondering how I want to do it. I mean, we technically school year round, so maybe I'm making this harder than it has to be. I should probably just keep homeschooling, and just take a slower pace during the "school break"? Stay tuned as I meditate and ponder on it some more!

In other news, we're still staying with my in-laws while my husband finds permanent work in our nearest big city. We don't want to stay out here in the boonies of this small town, and the city is also where the homeschool group meets so there are many reasons for us to push for that move. It's a little frustrating to be in this home, with folks who (let's be kind here) haven't always taken well to me in every moment, nor I to them. I'm trying my best, and I see moments when they try as well. I'm trying to be patient and realize that we will not be here forever in their home.

I'm choosing to be grateful for our blessings, and let go a bit more of the challenges.
Hopefully I have better news to report soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment