Thursday, May 22, 2014

Spring is Budding

My Spring Birds Chalkboard

Homeschool topics this week: Roman numerals, animals in spring, and memorizing our morning verse


The printable above is the project I am having my daycare kids do today, in honor of my latest chalkboard. The kids were *SO* excited to see that today's craft looked so much like my chalkboard. The reason I did not have the kids color their sheets themselves is that I was focusing more on scissor and gluing skills today. Below is the original copy which can be found at: http://kiboomukidssongs.com/bird-song-and-bird-nest-play-set/


Yesterday my son had a bit of an artistic breakthrough. Normally, he prefers to have a picture to copy for his watercolor work, but yesterday I suggested that he think of a picture of his own. Together, we brainstormed that he could start off with some green grass. Then he wanted to add a red flower. That led to a bright yellow, shining sun surrounded by bright blue sky. Below is the finished product, done completely from his imagination instead of from an example:


In other homeschooling quarters, we've been working on familiarizing ourselves with the Roman numerals 1-10. We're seemingly "always" working on addition and subtraction, and adding more skip counting into our week. We'll be spending the summer really hammering home the skip counting as part of our summer lesson block. I know there are some who take the summer off. I totally honor each family's choices. Our family is very relaxed about our homeschooling most of the year, and so in order to ensure we squeeze in everything we want to work on,we do need to do some work over the summer. The pace is even more relaxed than usual in the summer, but the routine really helps keep us going as well as cover those items we didn't get to earlier in the year.
                               




1 comment:

  1. I just love your chalkboard drawings, they are beautiful!

    ReplyDelete