My little guy was *SO* proud of himself for learning how to finger knit today! We used this youtube video as our instructional (I was learning alongside him!). I was pleasantly surprised that he showed so much excitement once he got going with it. That feeling of accomplishment just sent him soaring!
He wants to knit a few more things over the next week or so, then he would like to try knitting with needles. Is this my formerly-ipad-obsessed boy?!
Speaking of ipads, limiting screen time even further has been somewhat challenging, but I am really glad that I have been sticking to my guns. I know some people just go cold turkey with media, but I didn't like how upset it made him and in my opinion, being gentle is more important. I have been able to acquire his "buy-in" since I compromised with him and explained that we would be cutting back on screen time until we got down to 2-3 hours of total time for the week. I don't consider our occasional family movie night into that equation.
I realize that for some, even 2 hours of screen/device time a week is too much. The reason we have decided to keep it at 2-3 hours a week is because my 4 y.o. autistic daughter gets value out of some autism apps on the ipad that were recommended to us by her speech therapist as apps that will support the lessons she gets during therapy each week. We have noticed she gets a lot out of the apps, as they improve both her ability to focus as well as has been improving her communication.
My son, naturally, feels that if his sister has some screen time each week, he should be able to as well. We felt his argument was valid, so we made the compromise stated above.
When we finally move overseas, we should be ready for a complete cut-off at that point. We'll be around lots of family and friends, and in a wonderful climate for being outside more. He won't have time or energy for devices, so it will be a great time to cut them off.
Below are a few more pics from today's finger knitting lesson. I would highly recommend this handwork activity for grade 1 kiddos!
No comments:
Post a Comment