Was this little rodent correct about spring coming early this year?
Groundhog Day in our house is as much about learning as it is about superstitions. While I'd love to believe that a little groundhog could predict whether or not spring will come early, his record somewhat strains credibility. Still, how much fun is it to watch the announcement?!
Not long after Groundhog Day, of course, we got completely clobbered with snow. This is the most snow we've had all winter! We got between 30 and 35 inches of snow, and then yesterday we got another few inches just to round things off. We have used the opportunity to chat more about seasons and animals in winter. We talked about animal homes and how some animals hibernate (or leave the area for the winter) and how others stay here and manage to find food in the winter. We've been doing more work with coins and addition in math, which I managed to incorporate into the Groundhog Day theme as well.
We've been somewhat housebound, with the storm and dealing with only having 1 car right now. With any luck, our other car will be fixed this week. There are many things I'd like to go and do, but I am taking this chance to enjoy a little of my own hibernation time.
Just as the Winter will eventually melt into Spring, so too will our lives evolve and grow.
Next stop: Valentine's Day....

No comments:
Post a Comment