Thursday, July 19, 2012

Enjoying Home


Is there anything more glorious than a nice summer day watching the kids play in the yard?

We just ended a very long visit with the in-laws. It was quite nice for the most part. There were a few moments of communication challenges, but for the most part I just kept doing my thing and keeping my exposure down to a minimum (which made it easier for all of us to make it through). Our relationship is evolving, as most relationships do. I am keeping the faith that over time we are 
creating a bond together.

I've been busy in my garden, checking it every morning, and watering and clipping off bad leaves in the late afternoon. I've had a little bit of blight on my tomatoes, but so far they seem to be coming through it with only a minimum of damage. I've already gotten 2 zucchini from the garden, and heaps of kale for my salad plate. 

Today was just absolutely glorious. I feel so blessed, because in some other areas of the country they are still experiencing a heat wave and drought. I heard on the news that so many farmers were losing most (if not all) of their corn crops. As a result, I went to the store and stocked up on cans of corn - enough to have a can once a week for the next year. I figure the prices of corn (and availability) will definitely be hindered by this severe drought. Also, I like to always have some kind of food storage, so it was killing 2 birds with one stone.

I was thinking as my children were playing just how wonderful it is to watch them play. They are so carefree and happy, and it reminds me to slow down and enjoy my day more...to pay attention to small details for the wonders that they are. My children are such gifts in my life, to be sure.



No comments:

Post a Comment