Thursday, May 12, 2011

Welcome Back, Rhubarb!


Is winter finally gone now???

I have been SO excited by the progress my little container garden has been having (don't worry, I'll post this in my garden blog as well, but it's too exciting to keep to just one place!  Also, it has lessons for life!)

We're on week 10 of our long wait for our dream home (as you all may recall, we're buying a house through a Short Sale process...and it's been slow going!).  Because of that, I've had to make the decision that if I want any kind of garden this year, it will all have to be in containers that I can move. That's fine with me, because thus far a good 80% of my garden was container anyway (we rent, and can only use a small patch of land to actually plant in the ground).

Seeing things like the rhubarb and strawberries come up after our long winter just makes my heart sing.  I can't wait until we have our own home so I can put these babies into their permanent home, where I'll expand my garden.

It's been a dream of mine to have a large garden...along with my own home. Here I am at the age of 40, with 3 kids (my oldest in her teens), and am just now finally on the verge of buying my own home.  I've been thru divorce and now remarried to an amazing man. My ex and I never managed to find a home to buy (and I think it was GRACE that got in the way of that, since our marriage did not make it)...and now my hubby and I are getting ready to finally have a home of our own.

This whole experience of waiting for our home has been a real exercise in patience.  We've had to learn to let go and surrender to the process. We've had to allow the Universe, the Father-Mother god (if you will), to examine the situation and see if it is a good fit for us.  We haven't gotten our answer back from the Universe yet as to whether this venture is perfect for us, but we still feel very drawn to the amazing home we have found.  We've prayed and meditated on it, and now have left the matter up to faith.

It's just like the faith we have that things like rhubarb and strawberries will come up again the next year. The excitement when we see those little leaves poke up through the soil is something I wish I could fully describe.  Knowing that our family will be enjoying pies again this year, from the magic that shows itself in the form of these fruits, just reaffirms for us that our faith has been well placed.

We are blessed to have a roof over our heads and food in our bellies. We have a small band of good friends, and of course we have each other.  Today I saw some new birds at my bird feeders that I have not seen in this neighborhood before. I wonder if they got word from the other birds that we're a loving family who are happy to give the birds yummy treats?  When I go outside to refill the bird feeders and the birds are not scared away and simply watch me happily from a nearby branch, I often wonder if they can see the love I have in my heart for them?  

Things may not be perfect around us, as we sit in anxious waiting for our dream home to come to us, but when you get right down to it....life is goooood!

No comments:

Post a Comment