Baba Yaga
With Autumn finally here, I wanted to return to a study of pagan traditions. I find the colder weather brings out the more introspective side of me that likes to gather information (rather than warmer months that have me gathering food, for example). Baba Yaga seemed to be a great place to begin. Here is one source of info on her:
Baba Yaga says, "Intelligence ripens with age." In Slavic oral traditions, Baba Yaga was the old crone of autumn who lived in the last sheaf of harvested grain. Fittingly, the woman who bound that sheaf would bear a child the next spring, for the old Baba was also guardian of the fountain of the waters of life. Her legend suggests she was the preserver of herbal knowledge and medicinal healing.
~ magicalomaha.com
I know that some traditions have her as a scary old woman who ate children, but still other traditions have her helping people in need. I choose to think of her as a crone who had a fiesty side, and yet a very loving side (much like myself!).
Activities for kids
Here are a few links to activities you can do with your kids to study the different ideas of what Baba Yaga might represent. As I mentioned, I choose to think of her as the Crone of Autumn. Each story does focus on Baba yaga as the Crone, which is very fitting as we go into the dark of the year.
http://www.patriciapolacco.com/books/babayaga/index.html On this site, you can send a Baba Yaga ecard, print off a mini poster or bookmark, and other fun ideas
http://edsitement.neh.gov/view_lesson_plan.asp?id=590 This site has lesson plans and links geared toward children in grades 3-5, but I suspect you could adapt it to any age
http://www.teachervision.fen.com/novels/historical-fiction/26541.html?page=2 The top section gives more Baba Yaga activities and questions 

http://miniatures.about.com/od/dollhouseprintables/ig/Mini-Halloween-Decorations/Baba-Yaga-Printables.htm Baba Yaga printable designs for a candle holder or just to put up in your window (lots of cool ideas could be used with this design). Look closely and you'll see that the flying witch is flying over her hut, which is held up on chicken feet stilts
http://www.zazzle.com/vasilisa_return_from_baba_yagas_hut_poster-228869090830846806 Printable poster of Vasilisa returns from Baba Yaga's hut
http://ny-image1.etsy.com/il_fullxfull.62572029.jpg Use this pic for ideas when making your own Baba Yaga corn or wheat dolly
Above all else, studying about Baba Yaga can start a dialogue about perceptions and misconceptions about people. Are all old women scary? Why are older people not seen more for their wisdom instead of their eccentricity (or worse, as a thing to fear because they are seemingly so close to death?). How does the image of the crone relate to the dark of the year?
Welcome Autumn! May we follow the crone's lead by stocking our homes with herbs and magical items that will help us get through the winter. May we prepare to set aside the fertile time of the year and think about the dry, dark and seemingly drearier time, and may we still find magic afoot in every season!




I feel so much like that feared old crone these days. Having turned 60 last week, I feel old. I hope that somewhere along the way I can find wisdom to share with the maidens and mothers that I meet. Autumn and then Winter are wonderful times for introspection. But also for renewing and preparing for the new life that comes in the Spring. May we all spend this time renewing and preparing for that new life.
ReplyDeleteKathi
You are such a TREASURE!!! You have incredible wisdom to impart, not to mention you can set the example for those behind you regarding how to be the most amazing crone possible! I hope you can feel the heart-felt honor I have for you! The best part is, 60 is really not old! As a society, we have this obsession with youth, and so as women hit 40, then 50, and then 60, each decade sits more heavily upon them. We have several amazing crones in our greater circle of women who are just...well, amazing! They often lead the story time for the children, direct cooking and craft adventures, and help write and direct rituals. The energy of the crone is so special!
ReplyDeleteThanks for all your laundry tips on my blog! Looking forward to perusing yours! :)
ReplyDeleteLeslie